Dear Members of CANZ,
The official Call for Works is now released for ISCM’s World Music Days 2018, to be held in Beijing, China, from May 19 – 26, 2018 in association with the 2018 Beijing Modern Music Festival.
This very exciting 8-day festival and international gathering promises the chance to hear music from over 50 countries played by world-class performers, and unprecedented networking opportunities amongst the global community of composers and performers of new music.
CANZ is the official NZ member (Section) of the ISCM, and will be selecting and submitting six works as our Official Submission. We now invite members to submit works to CANZ for consideration. The deadline for submission to CANZ is Friday 8 December 2018. Please send all materials electronically to <email@example.com>.. Receipt of your submission will be acknowledged. If for some reason you do not receive such acknowledgement, please send an inquiry to <firstname.lastname@example.org>.
You must be a current member of CANZ to make a submission to our official NZ entry (if you wish to join CANZ, please see http://canz.net.nz/join-canz/ ) Preference will be given to shorter works, and works composed after 2012. The Official Submission from CANZ will include six works fitting at least four of the 11 submission categories. It is essential that you ensure your entry matches the specifications for one of the categories, described below:
1. Symphony orchestra (without choir; with or without soloist such as piano, violin, viola, cello, flute, oboe, clarinet, trumpet, percussion, tenor and soprano, etc.) (2+1.2+1.2+1.2+1.-184.108.40.206.- timp.perc4-pno-harp-strings). Duration max. 20 min.
2. Traditional Chinese Music Orchestra (without choir; with or without soloists such as erhu, pipa, zheng, ruan, bamboo flute, suona, sheng, percussion, etc.)
(2 bangdi+2 qudi+ 2 xindi+ 2 soprano sheng+ 2 alto sheng+ bass sheng+ 2 soprano suona+ 2 alto suona+ 2 tenor suona+ 2 bass suona+ 2 liuqin+ 2 yangqin+ 4-6 pipa+ 6 zhongruan+ 2-4 daruan+ 2 zheng+ 8-10 percussion+ 4-10 gaohu+ 12-16 erhu+ 4- 8 zhonghu+ 4-8 cellos+ 3-6 double basses). Duration max. 20 min.
3. Sinfonietta: flute, oboe, 2 clarinets, bassoon – trumpet, horn, trombone – 2 violins, viola, cello, double bass – 2 perc – pno). Duration max. 10 min.
4. Youth mixed choir (70 members; four voices for mix choir: soprano, alto, tenor and bass). Duration max. 8 min.
5. String Quartet. Duration max. 15 min.
6. Piano Trio for piano, violin and cello; or Piano Trio for piano, clarinet, and violin or viola. Duration max. 15 min.
7. Chamber Music pieces for quintet: flute (also alto flute and bass-flute), clarinet (also bass-clarinet), piano, violin and cello. Duration max. 15 min.
8. Chamber Music pieces for septet or octet: instruments to be chosen from violin, viola, cello, bass, piano, flute, oboe, clarinet, bassoon, horn, trumpet, trombone, and percussion, no more than one of each. Duration max 10 min.
9. Pieces for violin, flute, tenor, or soprano, with or without piano. Pieces for piano solo are also accepted. Duration max 8 min.
10. Chamber Opera. No more than 2 actors, and no more than 20 regular instruments from symphony orchestra. Concert version. Duration max 45 min.
11. Computer Music, for fixed media or with live performance (for voice or no more than 4 instruments to be chosen from 1 flute, 1 oboe, 1 clarinet, 1 bassoon, 1 horn, 1 trumpet, 1 trombone, 2 violins, 1 viola, 1 violoncello, 1 double-bass), up to 8 channels. Duration max 15 min.
Please note, the listed instruments are standard instruments, but the use of non-standard instruments is possible (additional expenses covered by the submitter). More updated information on the categories will be supplied on the festival website later
In order to submit works in the official NZ entry, CANZ requires the following:
– The score (PDF document preferred), or audio/video documentation if the work does not have a written score.
– An audio or video recording of the work (if possible)
– Short biography of the composer in English (maximum 150 words).
Programme notes for the submitted work in English (maximum 150 words).
– Technical rider specifying all equipment necessary to perform the work.
– Proof of nationality of the composer (copy of passport)
– High-resolution digital photograph of the composer.
– The composer’s personal and contact information: Given names; Family name; Name as it should appear in the programme; Date of birth; full Mailing address; Gender; Phone no.; email address; website (if applicable); signature.
– Composition Information: Title; Submission Category; Accurate duration; Year of composition.
Individual Submissions are also welcomed by ISCM, and must be submitted by regular post, containing all of the components requested above, to the following address:
Beijing Modern Music Festival
Room 630, Office Building, Central Conservartory of Music,
43 Baojia Street, Xicheng District, Beijing 100031, China +8610 6641 4052
Mention “Entry for the ISCM World Music Days 2018” on your entry. The postmark deadline is December 31, 2017 (Beijing time). Please note: this deadline applies only to individual submissions. 8 December 2017 is the deadline for the official CANZ submissions.
An entry fee of €50 applies to Individual Submissions, payable at the time of submission via PayPal on the ISCM website: http://www.iscm.org , or by bank transfer to the account of the ISCM (mention “individual submission ISCM 2018”, and your name) to:
ISCM-International Society for Contemporary Music,
ABN-AMRO Bank, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, IBAN: NL36ABNA0552532088, BIC: ABNANL2A.
For further information about the Call for Works, there will soon be an ISCM 2018 Beijing-based website.