AUCKLAND YOUTH ORCHESTRA
The Auckland Youth Orchestra is seeking expressions of interest for the position of its Composer in Residence for the 2010 season. Candidates must be under 26 years of age at the time of application.
The candidate will be someone who presents the best ideas for a composition appropriate for a youth orchestra, will benefit the most from holding the residency and from the activities and opportunities associated with it.
The composer in residence will have the following opportunities:
• Composing a work of no less than 3 minutes and no more than 5 minutes duration for the core instrumentation and resources of the orchestra. This work to be premiered during the orchestra’s 2010 season.
• Composing one minor commission, such as a short orchestral work suitable for an education concert, a fanfare or overture, a chamber work, an occasional piece for a special event or other works to be agreed.
Each expression of interest should include the following:
• a CV, including references if possible
• a score of at least one relevant and representative work, preferably accompanied by a sound file or recording
• a covering letter specifically addressing the following:
how the candidate would benefit from the residency
– how the candidate would be able to fulfill the role of the composer in residence as described above
– specific ideas the candidate has in mind as major and minor commissions
Please note that scores and recordings will not be returned.
Please do not send originals.
Applications are due by Monday 14 December 2009. Late applications may still be considered.
Please send to:
Antun Poljanich, Music Director, Auckland Youth Orchestra
c/o St Peters College, Mountain Road, Newmarket, Auckland