1. Encourage college students majoring in arts, humanities, education, or others to write songs for children
2. Arouse public interest and attention to songwriting for children.
3. Produce more good songs for our children.
Organizer: Department of Early Childhood Care and Education, College of Applied Human Ecology, Kun Shan University, Tainan, Taiwan
Supervised and Sponsored by: Ministry of Education, Taiwan
Other Sponsors: Band Musical Instrument Studio
1. International Category: College students from any country of the world other than Taiwan, Kinmen and Matsu can enter.
2. Domestic Category: College students from Taiwan, Kinmen or Matsu can enter
1. The registration form, printed sheet music with lyrics on it, and a prerecorded CD must be sent together to the address indicated in the contact information below. On the envelope please indicate “Registration for the 2014 Songwriting Contest – International Category”. The registration form can be downloaded from the website http://www.ksu.edu.tw/eng/unit/D/T/CH/CED/.
2. Do not put identifying information on the materials sent in. The identifying information only can be shown on the registration form.
3. The song must be original and unpublished, for both music and lyrics.
4. The lyrics must be written with English and meant for children.
5. The length of the song must be at least eight bars and time limit is five minutes.
6. Students can form teams to attend the contest, but no more than five persons a team. There is also a limit of 3 entries per person.
7. The song does not have to be performed by the songwriter, and the recording quality of material is not relevant to the judging process.
8. All entries must be sent in before February 27, 2015.
9. All submitted entries will not be returned.
First Place: US $ 500 or equivalent prize and award certificate.
Second Place: US $400 or equivalent prize and award certificate.
Third Place: US $ 300 or equivalent prize and award certificate.
Fourth Place: US $ 200 or equivalent prize and award certificate.
Fifth Place: US $ 100 or equivalent prize and award certificate.
Honorable Mention (3 places): US $ 35 or equivalent prize and award certificate.
Best Popularity Award (2 places): Award certificate.
1. The top three placing contestants need to have a score of 80 or higher to receive the prize.
2. The awards will be deducted 5% for tax.
1. Pleasant and suitable for children to sing (30%).
a. Rhythm complexity and pitch level are suitable for a child’s singing ability.
b. The lyrics is not beyond children’s life experience or understanding.
2. Originality (30%).
3. Songwriting craftmanship (40%).
4. The recording quality of material is not relevant to the judging process.
Well-known music composers and child education experts around the world.
Announcement of Results:
1. The winners will be announced on the Kun Shan University website on March 13, 2015.
2. No more than two entries of a person will be awarded.
3. The copyright of all awarded works is belonged to the organizer of this contest. The organizer has the right to copy, adapt, publish, perform, and any other using for publicity purposes.
1. Event Date: March 27, 2015.
2. Event Location: Assembly Hall, Kun Shan University, Tainan, Taiwan.
3. All winners must attend the awards showcase and perform their songs.
4. The performers should bring their own instruments except keyboard, which will be provided by the Organizer.
5. If the winners cannot attend the showcase, they should find someone else to present their songs for them or sent in the prerecorded CD to the Organizer by March 24, 2015.
Department of Early Childhood Care and Education, Kun Shan University,
No. 195, Kunda Rd., YongKang Dist., Tainan City 710-03, Taiwan (R.O.C.)
Tel: 886-6-2727175-316 Email: email@example.com