CALL FOR SCORES
The Malaysian Composers Collective invites submissions of an original work for:
15 Minutes of Fame
15 one-minute piano works + 15 one-minute short films:
What: We are inviting composers from Malaysia and ACL to compose a one-minute piano work for the project. The selected pieces will be performed by a Malaysian pianist and will go on to inspire Malaysian film artists to create a one-minute short film to the music soundtrack.
The 15 completed films will be broadcast in the fourth quarter of 2014 on various online platforms, and will be made available for further screenings at events and festivals.
The objective of the films is to raise awareness of the dangers of climate change, especially in light of the current water crisis and environmental disaster known as the haze, both of which are related to the man-made forest fires that Malaysia will likely face again this year. There can be no life without water.
Theme: Water + Fire
The composer is free to choose any aspect of the theme and/or the elements, and interpret it in any manner seen fit, literally or metaphorically, or based on any related inspiration.
New work for solo piano, duration exactly 1 minute (60 seconds). Playing inside the piano is permitted, but with no preparation of the piano.
Use of tape playback is permitted, but composer must furnish the finished audio file in digital (wav) form when your piece is selected.
Composers may send as many entries as they please, but only one will be selected. Multiple pieces must be stand alone and not dependent on the other.
Submission must include:
1) score in pdf format with programme notes
2) simple rough audio recording of the work(s) (can be made using handphone or simple audio recorders and submitted in compressed mp3, wma or similar digital format no more than 1.5 Mb in size)
3) photo and bio of composer
4) accompanying tape part, if any, to be submitted only after confirmation of selection
5) completed entry form (below)
Send to: email@example.com
Deadline for submission: 31 July 2014
Pre-submission: Composers interested to participate are encouraged to send their entry form in advance, starting from the date of this notice. This will allow us to keep track of your submission and update you directly of any announcements.
Terms and conditions:
By submitting an entry you are agreeing with the terms of participation as follows:
1. The organisers reserve the right to accept or reject submissions
2. The composer agrees to furnish full copyright of the submitted work to the organisers for use in this project and its related activities such as additional screenings and concerts, and for subsequent use of in promotional, educational or non-commercial t activities related to the project or in general promotional efforts of the organisers.
This project is co-organised by Malaysian Composers Collective and Popfolio. Funded by the Selangor government.