The municipal cultural institute, ‘Joaquin Chapaprieta’ has organised the fifth annual ‘SYMPHONY COMPOSITION CONTEST – CITY OF TORREVIEJA’ which will take place under the following rules:
1. All those composers who wish to participate may do so.
2. The compositions should be original and unedited and not be a copy or a modification of an existing composition nor have been previously published through any media. The composition should have a duration of more than fifteen minutes and less than twenty minutes.
3. The content of the work, as well as its form, shall be of ‘free choice’ and arranged for the instruments detailed in the attached annex. It should be noted that the jury will expect the use of ALL of the instruments listed in the annex except those which are indicated as optional. Failure to comply with this rule could result in the disqualification of the entry.
4. Works should be submitted in quintipulate on paper size A3, and accompanied by the individual material (partichelas) of the corresponding part for each of the instruments as detailed in the annex. Together with the work submitted, which should not bear either the name nor known pseudonym of the composer but merely a chosen title, should be enclosed a separate, sealed envelope which is clearly marked on the outside with the chosen title of the work. Within this envelope should be enclosed details of the composer: name, surnames, address, copy of national identity document or passport, telephone number and electronic mail address if applicable.
5. All entries must be received by 31st October 2007 and the jury’s decision will be announced before the end of the year 2007.
6. Entries should be sent, within the specified time, to: ‘Instituto Municipal de Cultural – Joaquin Chapaprieta Torregrosa’, Ayuntamiento de Torrevieja, Plaza de la Constitución Nº5, 03181, TORREVIEJA, (Alicante) Spain.
7.1. A single prize of fifteen thousand euros (15,000€) will be offered to the winner.
7.2. The prize will be subject to taxes according to law. This will apply both to Spanish nationals as well as non Spanish competitors regardless of their place of residence.
8. The jury which will decide the winning entry will be composed of five members, all recognised within the world of music and nominated by the Ayuntamiento de Torrevieja (Town Council).
9. The prize-winning composition will receive its ‘premier’ during a special concert by the ‘Union Musical Torrevejense’ sometime during the first quarter of 2008. Regardless that the rights of ownership of the entry will remain with the author, he / she, in accordance with the rules of this competition, will be obliged to ensure that, in any future publication of the composition, the winning entry will be publicised with the following annex: “Prizewinner of the V Annual Symphony Composition Contest ‘Ciudad de Torrevieja’ 2007.”
10. All other works submitted and not deemed to be the winner will be kept by the ‘Ayuntamiento’ of Torrevieja for a period of three months from the date of the jury’s decision, after which the composers may solicit the return of their entries.
11. The competition shall be declared void if the jury should decide that the standard required has not been reached.
12. The submission of any entry to this competition shall be considered as a full acceptance by the competitor of these rules. Any decision by the jury, with regards to the winning entry or any other matter relatining to this competition, shall be considered as final.
ANNEX TO RULE 3
Clarinet E Bemol
Clarinet B Bemol Solo y 1º
Clarinet B Bemol 1º 2º 3º
Sax Sopr B Bemol
Alt Sax E Bemol 1,2
Tenor Sax B Bemol 1,2
Bariton Sax E Bemol
Bass Sax (Opcional)
Trumpets B Bemol 1,2,3,4
Cornet B Bemol 1,2 (Fliscorno)
Horn F 1,2,3,4
Trombone 1,2,3 y 4
Bass Trombone (Opcional)
Baritone B Bemol 1,2 (Euphonium)
COMPOSITIONS WINNERS FROM THE CREATION OF THE CONTEST.
FIRST EDITION: “SINFONIA HAMLET” of D.SANTIAGO QUINTO SERNA (SPAIN). (2003)
SECOND EDITION: “CUMBRE DE MASADA” of D.JOSE MANUEL FAYOS JORDAN (SPAIN). (2004)
THIRD EDITION: “VENTS DEL GARBI” of D. MIGUEL ANGEL MARTINEZ GIMENEZ (SPAIN). (2005)
FOURTH EDITION: “FANTASIA PER LA VITA E LA MORTA” of D. BERT APPERMONT (BELGIUM). (2006)