The New Zealand Harp Duo are pleased to announce a competition for a new composition for two concert harps.
Two first prizes are offered, one for each category.
Category 1: 2-4 minutes
Must be currently enrolled in secondary school
Prize money $300
Category 2: 4-8 minutes
Under 30 years of age
Prize money $600
The winning compositions will be performed as part of the NZ Harp Duo’s concert series in 2017.
Closing date: entries must be received by midnight on the 19th August. Winners will be notified by 30th of September.
• The composition must be written for two pedal harps and must not have previously been performed in public nor entered into other competitions
• The composition may take any musical form
• Entrants for the secondary school category must have composed a piece of at least two minutes duration and no longer than four minutes
• Entrants for the under 30 year old category must have composed a piece of at least four minutes duration and no longer than eight minutes
• It must be an original work, not an arrangement of another work
• A composer may enter more than one work, but only one prize will be awarded to any one individual
• The competition is open to anyone who has New Zealand residency at the time the entry is submitted
• By submitting your composition you agree that the NZ Harp Duo will have performance and recording rights of the winning entries without additional fees
• By submitting an application, you agree to cooperate with the NZ Harp Duo on any possible edits deemed necessary by the duo to make the work successfully playable
• The composition must use standard tuning only, ie. no microtones
• All standard extended harp techniques are acceptable
• Composers may write for prepared harp, but it must not in any way compromise the instrument or its tuning.
• Submissions which are incomplete or do not follow the guidelines and parameters here will be disqualified
• All entries must include a separate short cover letter with: name, DOB, contact phone number, email address, name of school attending (if applicable). Please also include a short biography, short programme notes and a photo
The adjudication panel consists of:
Carolyn Mills – Principal Harpist NZSO
Kenneth Young – Composer, Conductor and NZSM Lecturer
Ingrid Bauer – Classical Harpist
The decision of the judging panel is final.
Information about writing for the harp can be found here:
Technical questions about the harp and its performance techniques may be directed to the NZ Harp
Duo at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line ‘Harp Composition Competition’
How to apply
Entries should be submitted electronically with the subject title ‘Harp Composition Competition’ to:
email@example.com email or dropbox with pdf files preferred, but Sibelius files (that can be
opened in all versions of the programme) also accepted.
Competition enquiries: Can be emailed to the NZ Harp Duo, with subject title ‘Harp Composition
Competition’ at firstname.lastname@example.org
o Full scores together with indicative or mockup audio files
o Cover letter
o Programme notes