A New Zealand young composer will again being given the opportunity to participate in MODART13, to be held in early 2013. MODART is the Song Company’s biennial young composer forum – see
The Song Company, based in Australia, is recognised as one of the most innovative vocal ensembles around the world, winner of the 2008 Myer Performing Arts Award and consistently acclaimed for its virtuosity, versatility, innovative programming and breath of repertoire. The opportunity to collaborate with the ensemble delivers new insight in the possibilities of the human voice, vocal texture, word-music relationship and the dynamics of a positive collaborative process.
Actively supported by the Australian Music Centre and ABC Classic FM, the project gives young composers the opportunity to develop a new vocal work in close collaboration with the singers of the ensemble and their director, Roland Peelman. CANZ will be selecting the NZ participant, who will join five emerging composers from Australia, and two others from China and Malaysia.
The MODART13 process will involve three stages:
1) Three to four days of initial workshops in Sydney – early to mid-February 2013
2) An education component in collaboration with MLC School Burwood during late July 2013
3) Final week of rehearsals and public performance recorded by ABC Classic FM
All selected composers have to be available to attend the first stage of development in Sydney and attend as much as possible of the final process.
Applicants need to be under the age of 32. Submit your proposal, including
• 100-word description of an idea for a new vocal a cappella work of 5 to 8 minutes duration (please note that a ready-made choral work is not considered suitable)
• An example of an existing score or work in any genre, form, instrumentation or arrangement, preferably recent and representative of current work
• One-page biography and photograph
Dr Glenda Keam (President, CANZ)
3 Sylvan Valley Ave
For further information, email Glenda Keam on
Deadline 23 November 2012